As a freelance microstock contributor, you need to to be pretty comfortable with a number of software tools. Depending on your artistry you may use: Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Premiere, Effects, Illustrator and others. Each one of these programs has a steep learning curve in order to become a power user.
Throughout the web you can find a number of free and paid tutorials of varying quality, but it can be time consuming and even frustrating to sort out the useful items from the sea of mediocre ones. We’ve found that lynda.com online training is an incredible on-stop shop for microstockers to learn how to use software. And in addition to software, they have great courses on Photography
Here are the top 10 reasons for choosing Lynda.com for your learning software:
- Breadth – Lynda.com has over 40,000 training videos, grouped into courses, and sorted by subject or software title.
- Course Consistency – 95% of Lynda.com tutorials are developed and produced in-house, making the learning experience consistent and high quality from course to course. Amazingly, all courses are presented without distracting advertising as Lynda.com is all member subscription supported.
- Depth – Most major software programs are covered, with multi-level and specialty training courses for the most popular ones. For example, there are well over 80 Photoshop courses alone. And over 70 courses on digital photography.
- Course Structure – Each course is logically broken down into small sections. This structure allows you to advance through the course sequentially, or zoom right to a topic or concept that you are needing to learn about at that moment. Lynda.com’s bookmarking feature keeps track of what you’ve already viewed, courses you’re currently watching, and courses you’ve marked for later.
- Mobile Learning – Take Lynda on the go and learn anywhere. Lynda.com provides a free iPad or iPhone app for mobile learning. And until they release an Android app, the site is mobile friendly.
- Top Instructors – Lynda.com attracts top instructors in each field and promotes them heavily on the site. In almost every cases, you’re learning directly from an expert on the subject. And they are motivated to teach you, because they earn royalties on the member views for their content.
- Immersive Experience – Lynda.com goes beyond just instruction. Yes, there are in-depth instructional videos, but they also produce training topics and courses about the industry. These “Principals of” type videos are valuable for gaining a deeper understanding of an industry, workflows, and tying things together. Similarly, they produce videos on top people in the field to show professionals in their creative environments doing what they do.
- Relearning – Since your Lynda.com membership entitles you to the entire catalog of learning, you can go back and refresh yourself on topics at any time. Take a whole course again, or just repeat some key concepts.
- Always Up to Date – Lynda.com releases 3-4 courses or more each week. For Adobe software products, they have new version “What’s New” and often even in-depth training prior to mainstream release. So you’re training resource is always up to date on the cutting edge improvements in your software.
- Inexpensive – A whole year of Lynda.com training costs less than a few hour local training course. A regular subscription is only $250/yr (or $25/mo), and they have a premium subscription which includes the instructor’s exercise files for $375/yr ($37.50/mo). Or you can sign up for a month. Even better, you can get started with a free trial for 7 days. Any way you look at it, its an incredible bargain.