The Growing Market for Audio Clips
Hey all you musicians and sound artists, if you’ve ever considered selling your creations on microstock sites, now is the time to give it a try. Here’s why:
- The revolution of online videos – 100 hrs of video per minute are uploaded to YouTube alone! Plus more and more companies and websites are recognizing the value of marketing with video. Think of all the soundtracks that are needed to back these up
- The continued expansion of podcasts into new areas – All of these need intro and outro bumpers of various lengths and styles
- The explosive growth of mobile games and applications – Over 800,000 mobile apps in the Apple apps store alone. This is an unprecedented opportunity for new and unique sound effects and creations.
The opportunity for licensing royalty free audio has never been greater.
Microstock audio isn’t just about songwriting. It’s about creating audio clips that meet different commercial needs in the marketplace. This includes musical pieces, sound effects, and spoken words.
Unique Sound Effects
Let’s take a look at sound effects as an example. There is a tremendous need for these “non-musical” sounds. And these aren’t limited just to the cliché sounds effects of creaky doors, telephones, clomping of horses’ hooves, or screaming women. In fact, here are some of the most popular searches for sound effects:
- Meditation and relaxation
- Fantasy and imagination
- Sports (snow, water, field, equipment)
- Nature (animals, water, weather)
Got Your Ukelele Ready?
You’ll find an equally broad spectrum of demand for music pieces. Buyers are looking for clips of all kinds, across every genre, and with a variety of instrumentation. There is always a need for audio that sets a mood, creates drama, or drives energy. Common searches here are motivation and inspiration, energetic, techno, fun, and holiday cheer. And don’t just stick with the most common instruments of piano, guitar, bass, and drums. Lately ukulele and banjo music have been on the rise. Who knows what the next hot instrument or style will be?
So whether you’re brand new or highly experienced in the world of audio, have a look at what microstock is all about to find out if it feels right for you.
To get you started, you can have a look at our Microstock Agency Media Chart for a list of over 10 agencies where you can sell your audio creations. Pick 2 or 3 of these and visit their websites, explore the audio clips that are out there, and get a feel for where you and your craft might fit in. This can be a fun way to make some extra money while doing what you love to do.