Photographers and videographers understand the importance of having the right gear at the right time. And pro or hobbyiest, when traveling you want a bag that is easy and convenient for carrying your gear with you wherever you go. The best photography backpack for traveling let’s you securely store all your gear in an organized way, and be able to take it with you on your journey, leaving your hands free.
Camera backpacks come in a variety of styles, features, and prices. You’ll want to look for one that has the size and features to handle your personal set of camera gear and accessories, and any other travel needs that are unique to you. Among our top picks for best photography backpack for traveling, you’ll find bags that range from storing a single camera and lens with accessories, all the way to accommodating a camera body with attached 500mm lens plus extra bodies and lenses.
We start our list with the LowePro Flipside Pro DSLR Camera Backpack series because it consistently receives the highest ratings for overall overall quality, durability, and robust feature set. Lowepro has been a top innovator in camera bag technology for many years, and the Flipside series of bags makes it clear why they continue to lead the way.
The main camera compartment is fully customizable with padded dividers you can adjust to optimally fit your gear. The comfortably contoured and padded straps, multiple exterior and interior compartments, and an exterior tripod mount all provide widely versatile storage options.
A unique design feature of the Flipside (where it got its name) is that unlike traditional backpacks, your gear is accessed from the body-side of the bag. This makes your gear extra secure while wearing the bag.
The Flipside is available in multiple sizes and models to suit your needs.
- The 500 AW is the largest of these, able to fit a pro DSLR and 500mm attached lens, 2-4 extra lenses, 1-2 extra camera bodies, tripod or monopod, and pretty much any other accessories you have. This one is designed for the serious adventure, wildlife, or sports, photographer. This bag has a waterproof cover hidden away and easy to put on if the weather changes on you.
- The Flipside 400 AW is slightly smaller and will fit those who want the robust styling but don’t need the extra length for a 500mm lens. The 400 AW is designed to fit a pro DSLR with up to a 300mm lens attached, 4-6 extra lenses, a 2nd camera body, filters and flash and other accessories. Both the 500 AW and the 400 AW have a concealed raincover that’s accessible when you need it.
- Flipside 200 and 300 models offer a more compact and lightweight package with the many of the same features as those above, but designed to fit a camera kit with fewer or smaller extra lenses.
- Main compartment with padded foam dividers with velcro that you can adjust to the configuration that works best for you. It can easily accommodate a camera and attached lens, additional lenses, and other accessories.
- A rain cover folded away at the bottom of the bag, conveniently at the ready when you need it.
- Exterior tripod carrying assembly.
- Interior zipper compartments for organizing small items like extra cards, batteries, charger, etc.
This SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack is made by Case Logic, a long-time leader in storage solutions for electronic gear. In addition to the main compartment for camera gear storage, this bag also features a separate, highly padded area for laptops up to 17 inches.
A with other bags on this list, padded dividers can be positioned fit your gear including a camera with lens attached, an extra camera body, multiple lenses, and additional gear. One thing that sets it apart is a patent pending “hammock” system that suspends your camera with its lens attached, above the bottom of the case. This provides superior protection from impact.
Other features include:
- Top zipper that allows you to quickly access your camera from the top, without having to open the whole backpack.
- Fully padded inside storage pockets for filters, flash, batteries, cards, and more.
- Spacious exterior pockets for easy access to phone, glasses, batteries, cables, and other items.
- Side strap mechanism for carrying a tripod or monopod out of the way.
- Memory foam lining in the top part of the zippered lid provides top end padding for your suspended camera.
Carry more than just camera gear with the multi-functional travel photography backpack from YAAGLE. The separate top compartment can hold clothes or other personal items, while the bottom part is designed to safely store your camera body and lenses separate from other belongings. This area has adjustable padded partitions to configure to your own gear. A separate padded laptop sleeve can store a 15 inch laptop.
Lots of exterior compartments are great for smaller camera accessories and even a water bottle. The side straps help you securely attach your tripod
Choose from black, grey, or army green.
Photographers and videographers will get two bags in one with the dual compartment design of this rucksack style camera backpack from Kattee. It is made of durable canvas and strong cowhide straps and trim, and sturdy belt buckle style fasteners.
Like the product above, this bag features two main compartments – one for camera gear and one for clothing or other essentials, each with separate access.
- The bottom half is a compact area with removable padded dividers for camera and 1-2 lenses
- The top half is separate and protected from the camera gear, with easy access to a jacket, lunch, or other stored belongings.
- A zipped in rain cover at the bottom of the bag is at the ready when you hit that unexpected downpour.
- External pouches provide extra storage and organizing options.